June is National Safety Month. While workplace and home safety are important every day of the year, the National Safety Council (NSC) specially focuses on safety during the month of June to help educate the public. Highlighting the following four themes throughout the month, the NSC aims to reduce the leading causes of injury and death – at home and in your workplace.
Slips, Trips, and Fall
Keep your home and workplace safe by taking action to prevent slipping, trips, and falls.
- Both at home and at work, proper ladder selection, use, and maintenance are critical to fall prevention. Read our ladder safety blog for more tips and resources.
- Falls from elevation are the leading cause of death in construction. How can you help prevent these incidents? This blog has numerous resources to support your fall prevention efforts.
- Check out these 11 tips from Safety & Health Magazine for implementing effective workplace housekeeping to keep your employees safe from falls.
37% of the U.S. workforce is sleep deprived. Proper sleep allows us to recharge and avoid injuries at home and at work.
- Check out our 6 Tips For Preventing Sleep Deprivation so you can catch some more Z’s!
- Consider addressing sleep and fatigue in your workplace wellbeing efforts.
- Learn more about how fatigue impacts workplace safety in this article from Safety & Health Magazine
One of the "root causes" of injuries, illnesses, and incidents is the failure to identify or recognize hazards that are present, or that could have been anticipated.
- Too many plugs in one outlet? How many is too many? Our blog on "Avoiding Electrical Hazard At The Office" is a must read.
- While machines help improve production and efficiency, understand the risk that come with using those machines.
- Exposure to hazardous chemicals is a serious threat to workers. Be sure to communicate that risk properly and effectively.
We often think of impairment as a result of substance use or in terms of addiction or dependence to alcohol or drugs (used legally or illegally). However, impairment can be the result of various situations, including many that are temporary or short term.
- Creating a safe and focused work environment, doesn't always include extra equipment. Check out these safety tips!
- Protect employees from respiratory issues caused by insufficient protection.
- Distracted and impaired driving is a real threat...and not worth the consequences. Take a look at these steps to prevent accidents.
Even though June is National Safety Month, don’t forget to prioritize safety all year long!